United States Army Code of Conduct
1. I am an American,
fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of
life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.
2. I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command, I
will never surrender the members of my command while they still
have the means to resist.
3. If I am captured, I will continue to resist by all means
available. I will make every effort to escape and aid others to
escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the
4. If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith in my fellow
prisoners. I will give no information or take part in any action
which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will
take command. If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those
appointed over me and back them up in every way.
5. When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am
required to give name, rank, service number, and date of birth.
I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my
ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to
my country and its allies or harmful to their cause.
6. I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for
freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the
principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God
and the United States of America.